Tuscany and Piedmont, Italy
November 2-11, 2017
10 days, 9 nights
Your Private, Customized 10 Day, 9 Night Tuscany and Piedmont Wine Tour includes:
• Creation of your customized itinerary, and all advance arrangements for your trip
• Personal Sommelier and Guide services by Tuscany resident and sommelier Claudia, and Piedmont resident and sommelier Anna
• Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board, including all transfers
• 1 night at 4-star centrally-located Gallery Hotel Art in Florence, double occupancy
• 4 nights at 5-star Grand Hotel Continental in Siena, double occupancy
• 4 nights at 4-star Hotel Calissano in Alba, double occupancy
• 7 gourmet lunches with fine wines (½ bottle per person)
• 5 gastronomic dinners, 4 of them including fine local wines (½ bottle per person), o For dinner on Sunday, Nov. 5, guests will choose and pay for their own wine and beverages
• 9 delicious breakfasts
• Restaurant suggestion list for Siena and Alba
• 12 tours and tastings at top-quality wine producers
• Truffle hunting and tasting in Piedmont
• Organic Pecorino cheese visit and tasting
• All local taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, Double Occupancy is $5295
Discount if paid by check instead of credit card: $150 per person
Single Supplement: $995
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1500.00 per person
To reserve your spot on the Yonah Mountain Vineyards Tuscany and Piedmont Italy Tour, Nov. 2-11, 2017:
- Go to https://www.winescholarguild.org/private-trips-reservation-formand fill out the Reservation Form completely. This form is on the website of the Wine Scholar Guild, which is our partner for wine tours.
- At the bottom of that form, please read and accept the Terms and Conditions, then click on the red button to submit the form.
- You’ll be taken to the Deposit Payment page on the Terroir Wine Services website to pay your deposit
- At the bottom of the list of tours, please check the box for “Yonah Mt. Italy Private Tour, Nov. 2-11, 2017: $1500 per person” and indicate the number of deposit you want to pay (a deposit is due for each person taking the trip)
o You can pay with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or Amex) or with a PayPal account using our online system
o If you prefer to pay by check, please email me at email@example.com to let me know and I’ll give you instructions. There is a $150 discount for paying by check.
You’ll receive a confirmation by email with information you’ll need to make your travel arrangements for the trip. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-415-3036.
Spend time in Florence before the tour, or in Turin after the tour: please let us know if you would like to add time in Florence or Turin to your tour. We’ll be happy to help!
Contact Lauriann at email@example.com for more information.
Proposed Itinerary *
Thursday, Nov. 2 Welcome to Tuscany! D
• Arrive independently in Florence and check into the elegant boutique 4-star Gallery Hotel Art, ideally located in the heart of Florence, just steps from the Arno River and the Ponte Vecchio.
• Meet your expert sommelier guide, Claudia, at the hotel in the evening and take a short walk to one of the top restaurants in Florence for a welcome dinner.
Friday, Nov. 3 Chianti & Siena B, L
• After checkout, travel to the gorgeous rolling hills of Chianti.
• Visit two top Chianti producers like Isole e Olena, Fontodi or Castello di Fonterutoli.
• Enjoy a trattoria lunch of local specialties.
• Arrive late afternoon in one of the most beautiful cities in Italy, Siena. Check in to your 5-star hotel ideally located in the historic center of Siena, the magnificent 17-century Grand Hotel Continental. Take the evening to explore Siena and dine on your own at one of its many fine restaurants.
Saturday, Nov. 4 Pienza & Montalcino B, L, D
• This morning, visit the charming hilltop village of Pienza – enjoy walking the ancient streets, shopping for local food specialties and taking in the amazing views.
• Visit an organic farm nearby to see how they produce raw milk pecorino cheese, followed by a farm lunch with a wonderful view on the Val d'Orcia (a Unesco Heritage site).
• Move on to Montalcino and visit two fine producers of Brunello di Montalcino, like Il Maronetto or Biondi Santi.
• Return to Siena for a group dinner at one of the city’s best restaurants.
Sunday, Nov. 5 Cortona & Siena B, L
• Your destination this morning is the lovely town of Cortona, your guide Claudia’s home town. Upon arrival, she’ll give you a guided tour of the town’s historic sites.
• Enjoy some time on your own to explore Cortona.
• Claudia’s husband is winemaker for the Antinori La Braccesca estate in Cortona – you’ll meet him and get an insider’s view of winemaking in Tuscany, while enjoying a tasting and a light lunch.
• Arrive mid-afternoon back in Siena, and take the rest of the day to shop, visit museums, take in the atmosphere of this very special city and enjoy dinner on your own.
Monday, Nov. 6 Bolgheri & the Super Tuscans B, D
• Travel to the Maremma, the coastal area that has become home to some of Tuscany’s most prestigious wineries making “Super Tuscan” wines using international grape varieties.
• Visit and taste at two of the finest Super Tuscan wineries, like Ornellaia, Ca’Marcanda or Grattamacco.
• Enjoy some time to explore the beautiful village of Bolgheri and have lunch on your own.
• Meet the group for a last dinner in Siena.
Tuesday, Nov. 7 Pisa & Welcome to Piedmont! B, L, D
• Say “Arrivederci” to Tuscany as you travel to the Piedmont region today.
• Stop for a delightful lunch in Pisa, where you’ll also have a photo stop at the Torre Pendente (Leaning Tower) and Duomo.
• Arrive late afternoon in the beautiful small city of Alba, your base in Piedmont. Check in to the lovely 4-star Hotel Calissano, ideally-located just five minutes’ walk from the historic city center.
• Dinner tonight is at the hotel’s fine restaurant.
Wednesday, Nov. 8 Barbaresco B, L
• Meet your sommelier expert guide Anna and drive to one of the most prestigious wine areas in Piedmont, the village of Barbaresco.
• Anna will provide a short introduction to Barbaresco looking at the view from the base of the historic medieval tower in the village.
• Visit a well-known Barbaresco producer in Barbaresco village, like Rizzi, Rocca or Giuseppe Cortese.
• A delicious lunch awaits you in Treiso, another Barbaresco producing village.
• Enjoy free time in the charming village of Neive, the third Barbaresco producing village.
• Tasting at another well-known Barbaresco winery, this time in Neive, like Vietti or Sottimano.
• Return to Alba for an evening on your own, with our suggestions for great dining.
Thursday, Nov. 9 Barolo B, L
• Today, Anna will contrast the two opposite sides of the Barolo area, one more feminine vs. one more masculine.
• Begin with a short intro to the geography of the Barolo area with a stop at the view point in La Morra where you can see all 11 Barolo producing villages.
• Cellar tour and tasting at one of the finest Barolo wineries.
• Lunch in the lovely village of Barolo, then enjoy free time to walk around, visit the regional enoteca inside the castle, visit the corkscrew museum or just enjoy the scenery.
• This afternoon’s cellar tour and tasting is at a top winery in Serralunga or Monforte, known for their robust “masculine” style wines.
• Return to Alba for another free evening to explore and dine at one of Alba’s great restaurants.
Friday, Nov. 10 Asti, Barbera and Roero B, L, D
• Explore some of the other fine wines of the area today.
• November is truffle season! Enjoy a morning truffle hunt in the Asti area with a charismatic truffle hunter/author, learn more about truffles, and taste local products made with truffles.
• Winery visits this afternoon include tastings of great wines from Barbera, Roero and Asti.
• Your farewell dinner is at one of Alba’s top restaurants, Enoclub, an elegant wine-oriented restaurant located in beautiful vaulted cellars.
Saturday, Nov. 11 Turin B
• After breakfast, you’ll be transferred to Turin Porta Nuovo station and Turin Airport for your return trip home. Turin is a beautiful, historic city – you may want to stay a few days to explore the city.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and wine producers indicated may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine producers visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality. Once you book your program with us, we will begin to contact the producers to determine which ones are available. If there are specific producers you would like to visit, please let us know, and if those producers accept groups of this size, we’ll ask them for their availability on your dates. Terroir Wine Services, Inc. P.O.Box 15040, Philadelphia, PA 19130 firstname.lastname@example.org w www.terroirwineservices.com Tel: +1 302-415-3036 w Fax: +1 855-348-3371
About your expert sommelier guide in Tuscany, Claudia:
Claudia is a certified sommelier with 15 years of experience in the wine industry, tourism and events organizing. Her career started in the international hospitality industry and event organizing at the St. Regis Grand Hotel in Rome. She also worked in London at Vinopolis, the most famous city and museum of wine.
After working for Marchesi Antinori in Italy, she further developed her profession in India, where she was in charge of training the staff of 5-star hotels about wine.
Once back to Italy, given her previous studies in the tourism business, she decided to specialize in wine itineraries, providing a special and unexpected view of Tuscany and Italy for an upscale, international clientele.
About your expert sommelier guide in Piedmont, Anna:
Anna was raised in California wine country. She found herself in one of the most beautiful Italian wine regions, Piedmont, at the age of 22 by chance. Originally an English teaching job brought her to Piedmont, but little did she know that she would fall in love, both with the man who’s now her husband and with the wine and food culture of Piedmont. A once unknown land became her passion!
After studying and exploring this area at length, she wanted to share the beauty of this unspoiled Italian region with wine lovers and began offering wine tours in the region that has become her home. Anna is a professional sommelier and member of the Associazione Italiana dei Sommeliers (AIS).
Your Hotels during the Tour:
Gallery Hotel Art, 4-stars, Florence
Next to Ponte Vecchio in the heart of Florence, Gallery Hotel Art is boutique hotel owned by the Florentine fashion label Ferragamo and hosts regular contemporary art exhibitions. It offers a popular Fusion restaurant, and spacious air-conditioned rooms. The Uffizi Gallery is 650 feet from Gallery Hotel Art, while Florence Cathedral is 5 minutes away on foot.
Rooms are modern and bright, with light-coloured walls and white bed linen. All feature a minibar and a flat-screen TV with satellite channels. Bathrooms come with Salvatore Ferragamo toiletries. A large buffet breakfast is available each morning.
Grand Hotel Continental, 5-stars, Siena
Grand Hotel Continental Siena - Starhotels Collezione is a luxury, 5-star hotel in the most popular shopping district of Siena, within the ancient walls. It offers comfortable guest rooms, which feature period furniture. Grand Hotel Continentale Siena dates back to the 17th century and has its original frescoes.
With such a central location in Siena, the cathedral and Piazza del Campo are both just a 5-minute walk away.
Hotel Calissano, 4-stars, Alba
The Hotel takes its name from the “Calissano” winery founded in 1872 by Luigi Calissano. the historic Calissano wine cellars form the very foundations of the hotel itself, and have been partly restored and returned to the splendor of days gone by. The Hotel seeks to blend past and present, history and cutting edge technology, and the comfort and warm welcome typical of the Piedmont. Decorated with refined wood floors, rooms at Hotel Calissano are soundproofed and come with antique furniture, rugs and a private marble bathroom. The Hotel is located just a 5 minute walk from the historic center of Alba.